Tuesday, December 13, 2011

History of the Candy Cane, Bighorn sheep, and Sentences


Bighorn sheep are one of two species of mountain sheep in North America. They range in color from light brown to grayish or dark brown, and have a white rump and lining on the backs of all four legs. Bighorn sheep get their names from the large, curved horns on the males, or rams. They are legendary for their ability to climb high, steep, rocky mountain areas. Bighorn sheep have very big horns they must weigh 1 to 2 pounds on their head.

Here are some sentences containing my spelling words! I can draw a triangle. Moraine sounds likes rain. The football was in no range of me. I saw a vulture high in the sky. My mom told me to look up the definition for composite so I did. The scientists said that the new plant was a carnivore I was so shocked that there was a new plant. Jamie asked Kelley what the definition was for monolith. Cirque is one of my spelling words. There are 4 oceans’ the Atlantic Ocean, Pacific Ocean, Indian Ocean, and the Arctic Ocean. The glass was rupturing on the floor. He will call you eventually. The teacher asked Johnny what the definition for leisure was Johnny didn’t know. Johnny knew how to evaluate. I live in a building. My mom asked me what segments are. I don’t understand the definition for erratic. Seizure is seizing. I have a solution to this problem. Carefully put the glasses away.

The origin of the candy cane goes back over 350 years, when candy-makers both professional and amateur were making hard sugar sticks. The original candy was straight and completely white in color. Around the seventeenth century, European-Christians began to adopt the use of Christmas trees as part of their Christmas celebrations. They made special decorations for their trees from foods like cookies and sugar-stick candy. The first historical reference to the familiar cane shape goes back to 1670, when the choirmaster at the Cologne Cathedral in Germany, bent the sugar-sticks into canes to represent a shepherd's staff. The all-white candy canes were given out to children during the long-winded nativity services.

2 comments:

  1. Andrea,

    I learned a great deal about the Bighorn Sheep. You have several run-on sentences in your second paragraph. You do not use apostrophes when telling more than one of something.

    I really enjoyed your paragraph on the history of the candy cane. I do think it would have been nice if you would have added when the red was put into the candy cane.

    Your word count is 353 words.

    Your score 23/25
    1pt run-on sentences
    1pt apostrophes

    love mommy

    ReplyDelete
  2. they was some interesting story thay you wrote today.about the sheep and the candy cane

    ReplyDelete